How to Protect Yourself from Contractor Scams
At Brown & Sons Plumbing Plumbing, we believe in protecting our community from fraud and helping our clients get the quality of service they deserve. Unfortunately, we often see inexperienced homeowners fall for contractor cons that leave them out of money and in need of additional repairs. If you are in the market for a new contractor, use the following checklist to screen prospective workers and avoid becoming another victim of a common contractor scam.
- Do a credentials check. Contact the local Better Business Bureau (BBB) for information before signing a contract with any company. Make sure that the contractors you are considering working with are licensed, insured, and bonded. Remember to include subcontractors in your research.
- Get background information. Try doing a search online to learn more about the company’s reputation and read testimonials from previous clients.
- Ask for references. If the company you are considering does not have a website with reviews, call and ask for additional references. Whether you are looking for ongoing air conditioner services or a quick plumbing repair, you have a right to know how other customers felt about the quality of the service they received.
- Get a fair estimate. While some unexpected expenses can happen, you need to know that your original price quote will not be increased dramatically halfway through your project. After getting an estimate that sounds accurate, ask your contractors if they can guarantee it.
- Sign a contract when you are ready to commit to one company. Make sure that you work out all of the relevant details before your agreement is finalized. Have your contractor put the working schedule in writing as well as the estimate and completion dates. It is very important to come up with a deadline ahead of time in case the work drags on longer than expected.
In general, avoid deals that seem to be too good to be true. If you need a qualified Denton plumber, you do not want to hire someone who specializes in house painting. You should always look for professionals who have extensive experience in the type of work you are looking for.
If you have any additional questions or need to hire a reliable contractor, our professional team at Brown & Sons Plumbing Plumbing is happy to help you. Contact us at 800-758-6246 to get immediate assistance.
If you are looking for a Company in the area, please call Brown and Sons at (940) 302-0100 or click here to fill out our online request form